UN Command, S. Korea honor remains of 2 soldiers killed in Korean War

UN Command, S. Korea honor remains of 2 soldiers killed in Korean War

SEOUL, South Korea — With a 21-gun salute and the playing of taps, the U.S.-led United Nations Command and South Korea on Friday repatriated the remains of two soldiers found decades after they were killed in the Korean War.

It was a somber reminder of the importance both countries place on the return of lost troops amid hopes that North Korea will follow through on a commitment to return more war dead.

The North skipped a meeting planned for Thursday in the Demilitarized Zone to discuss the issue, but State Department spokeswoman Heather Nauert said they had offered to meet on Sunday instead.

The remains of the U.N. soldier honored Friday were found by South Korean search teams in 2016 in the Cheorwon area of Gangwon province, near the eastern border with the North. The soldier was not identified.

The South Korean soldier’s remains were found by the U.S. Defense POW/MIA Accounting Agency in 2001 in Kaechon, North Korea. He was identified as Pvt. Yoon Kyung Hyeok, assigned to the 1st Cavalry Division as a Korean Augmentation to the United States, or KATUSA.

Yoon’s family followed the casket, which was draped with a South Korean flag, as it was carried to a waiting hearse. The other casket was draped with a blue U.N. flag.

“We are gathered here to fulfill our solemn obligation to never forget those who have fallen in battle and those who have been listed as missing in action or prisoner of war,” UNC commander Gen. Vincent Brooks said during the ceremony. “The greater responsibility is to account for every one of them and return them to their families, bringing to an end the years of uncertainty and anguish.”

He also invoked the ongoing diplomatic efforts to persuade the North to abandon its nuclear weapons program, saying the talks “give us hope in the possibility of a long sought-after peace.”

The search for fallen soldiers in North Korea has been halted for more than a decade amid tensions with the communist state. Many remains already recovered also have yet to be identified due to the complicated and lengthy process involved.

Leader Kim Jong Un agreed to try to return more remains, “including the immediate repatriation of those already identified,” during his June 12 summit with President Donald Trump.

But no moves have been made on that front. American officials have been on standby for weeks and have sent wooden coffins and flags to Panmunjom in preparation for a handover.

Secretary of State Mike Pompeo announced that the North Koreans had agreed to talks to iron out details in Panmunjom Thursday, although he added the caveat that “it could move by one day or two.” The North Koreans didn’t show up, but Nauert told reporters that the U.S. would be ready for them on Sunday.

More than 36,000 U.S. troops died in the three-year war, which ended in an armistice instead of a peace treaty, leaving the peninsula divided by one of the world’s most heavily fortified borders.

That number includes 7,702 who are missing in action, with an estimated 5,300 believed to have been lost in the North, according to the Hawaii-based DPAA, which oversees the effort.

The agency says that North Korean officials have indicated they have “as many as 200 sets of remains” already recovered that could be ready for return. Identities would not be confirmed until after what is often a lengthy and complicated forensics process.

Joint U.S.-North Korean military search teams recovered 229 sets of American remains from North Korea between 1996 and 2005.

The United States was allowed to conduct 33 investigative and recovery operations in the country before former President George W. Bush’s administration called off the search, claiming the safety of American participants was not guaranteed.

Critics at the time also argued the North was using the program to extort money from Washington, prompting the label “bones for bucks.”

The last repatriation was in 2007 when then-New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson traveled to Pyongyang and returned with six sets of remains.

Twitter: @kimgamel


A soldier salutes after loading a casket containing the remains of a U.N. soldier killed during the 1950-53 Korean War into a hearse following a repatriation ceremony at the National Cemetery in Seoul, South Korea, on Friday, July 13, 2018.

Let’s block ads! (Why?)

Source link

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *